Publication date: 28 July 2020
Available from good bookstores and also:
- US: https://publishing.tor.com/flyaway-kathleenjennings/9781250260499/
- AUS: https://www.panmacmillan.com.au/9781760980535/flyaway/
The beginning has been published online at Tor.com: Read an Excerpt from Kathleen’ Jennings’ Flyaway
Transformation, enchantment, and the emotional truths of family history teem in Kathleen Jennings’ stunning debut, Flyaway.
“Kathleen Jennings’ prose dazzles, and her magic feels real enough that you might even prick your finger on it.”—Kelly Link
“Half mystery, half fairy tale, all exquisitely rendered and full of teeth.”—Holly Black
In a small Western Queensland town, a reserved young woman receives a note from one of her vanished brothers—a note that makes question her memories of their disappearance and her father’s departure.
A beguiling story that proves that gothic delights and uncanny family horror can live—and even thrive—under a burning sun, Flyaway introduces readers to Bettina Scott, whose search for the truth throws her into tales of eerie dogs, vanished schools, cursed monsters, and enchanted bottles. Flyaway enchants you with the sly, beautiful darkness of Karen Russell and a world utterly its own.
- A 2020 Australian Shadows Award finalist
- A 2020 Crawford Award finalist
- Named a Best of 2020 Pick for NPR
- Locus Recommended Reading List
- An Indie Next Pick!
POSTS and ARTICLES (by me)
- My interview with Justin Devine, about reviewing Flyaway and his fanart
- Avid Reader window drawings
- Interview with Felicity Jurd, audiobook narrator of Flyaway
- Flyaway: A Silhouette in Gold
- Flyaway cover comparison
- Sketching with Words
- This is not a deck of cards: tropes and process
- Tor.com: Illustration Flyaway: Kathleen Jennings on Creating Art and Prose Together
REVIEWS and INTERVIEWS
- The New York Times (Danielle Trussoni): Where Evil Lurks
- Publisher’s Weekly’s starred review: Flyaway, by Kathleen Jennings (and it’s in their Summer Reads 2020)
- Washington Independent Review of Books (Mariko Hewer): Flyaway
- Australian Book Review (Georgia White): Flyaway by Kathleen Jennings
- Locus Magazine (Katharine Coldiron): Katharine Coldiron Reviews Flyaway by Kathleen Jennings
- Smart Bitches, Trashy Books (Carrie S.): Flyaway by Kathleen Jennings
- Sydney Morning Herald (Kerryn Goldsworthy): Fiction reviews: No Presents Please and three other titles
- The Australian Woman’s Weekly: Bush Fairytale
- The Canberra Times (Colin Steele): An impressive mixture of gothic and folklore
- The AU Review (Jodie Sloan): Book Review: Gothic fairytale comes to small town Australia in Kathleen Jennings’ Flyaway
- The AU Review: Interview: Author Kathleen Jennings
- Booklist (Lucy Lockley): Flyaway, by Kathleen Jennings
- Geekly, Inc (Christina Ladd): Flyaway Review: Exquisite, Exquisite, Exquisite
- Aimee Keeble on the Indie Next List: The August 2020 Indie Next List Preview
- Alex Brown on Tor.com: “Nothing else in the world beyond but trees”: Flyaway by Kathleen Jennings
- Vernacular Books (Paul Jessup): Paul Jessup Reviews Flyaway by Kathleen Jennings (Tor.com)
- Anthony Cardno; Review of Flyaway
- Feathers of Icarus (Krystal Lee): Feathers of Icarus — Review: Flyaway
- Drawn to Culture (Justin Devine): Flyaway
- Nerds of a Feather (Andrea Johnson): Interview: Kathleen Jennings, author of Flyaway.
- Grimdark Magazine (Michael Dodd): Review: Flyaway by Kathleen Jennings
- Track of Words (Michael Dodd): Flyaway by Kathleen Jennings
- Library Journal (Kristi Chadwick): Flyaway
- New Books Network (Gabrielle Mathieu): Kathleen Jennings: Flyaway.
- WAMC: Book Picks — Battenkill Books
PODCASTS and RECORDED INTERVIEWS
- Tubby & Coos: Kathleen Jennings and Kelly Link — USA launch event
- Avid Reader: Kathleen Jennings and Fiona Stager (with Garth Nix) — Australian launch event
- Published or Not: 3CR Melbourne: Kathleen Jennings and Ewa Ramsey
- Intermultiversal Space: Episode 13: Kathleen Jennings
- Spectology: Kathleen Jennings on Flyaway: Small Towns, Fairytales, and...