September 27, 2015
September 27, 2015
Another rediscovered instalment of the Dalek Game! This one was for M M Kaye’s wonderful fairytale, The Ordinary Princess. The best princess, the best prince, the best wicked (or disgruntled) stepmother, the best names. Approached in my affections only by E Nesbit’s “Melisande, or Long and Short Division”, which loses because M M Kaye’s illustrations (her own work) are just so charming.
September 25, 2015
September 23, 2015
Here is a glimpse of one of the projects we have been working on:
And here is my illustrator photo. The fox at top left is one of my favourite foxes so far. The mug behind the ink bottle is the Mozi peacock mug my younger sister gave me years ago and it definitely has tea in it! Not paint water.
September 20, 2015
September 16, 2015
There’s a fair bit going on in offline life at the moment (mostly good and hopeful except for the leaky roof), but this weekend past I finished two covers with which I am very happy. The first has been announced!
This was a fairly short turnaround. I ended up putting together the thumbnail roughs in my notebook during a panel at the Brisbane Writers Festival (this is pretty much my ideal way of working – I had SUCH A GOOD TIME at the BWF).
Then I made an oval template by quartering, cutting, unfolding, fixing etc a piece of white paper (because sometimes it’s satisfying to do things from first principles, she said lazily), pencilled and cut out the image. I had a lot of fun with architecture and venetians, although it got a bit non-Euclidean. I want to do more of these.
I scanned that, cleaned it up, added a dash of red and white, and then sent it off to Amanda Pillar, the editor of Ticonderoga Publication’s newest anthology, Bloodlines. She and Russell B. Farr put the cover together wonderfully. I think it looks fabulous.
And yes, my secret identity, writer-Kathleen, has a story in it (and made it onto the cover too!). In fact, it is a pretty good lineup of dark urban fantasy:
- Joanne Anderton “Unnamed Children”
- Alan Baxter “Old Promise New Blood”
- Nathan Burrage “The Ties of Blood, Hair and Bone”
- Dirk Flinthart “In The Blood”
- Rebecca Fung “In the Heart of the City”
- Stephanie Gunn “The Flowers That Bloom Where Blood Touches Earth”
- Kelly Hoolihan “The Stone and the Sheath”
- Kathleen Jennings “The Tangled Streets”
- Pete Kempshall “Azimuth”
- Martin Livings “A Red Mist”
- Seanan McGuire “Into the Green”
- Anthony Panegyres “Lady Killer”
- Jane Percival “The Mysterious Mr Montague”
- Paul Starkey “The Tenderness of Monsters”
- Lyn Thorne-Adder “Lifeblood of the City”
- S. Zanne “Seeing Red”
It will be launched in October, but pre-orders are open now. See more at: http://ticonderogapublications.com/web/index.php/our-books/185-bloodlines/390-bloodlines-cover-and-orders-available