Kathleen Jennings’ Australian Gothic debut Flyaway was published by Tor.com (USA) and Picador (Australia) in 2020. She writes fantasy short stories and comics (mythic, urban and steampunk), and something that’s part written travel-sketchbook, part poetry, and also maintains a Gothic twitter bot at twitter.com/girlfleeshouse. Her writing has received a British Fantasy Award, two Ditmars and been shortlisted for the World Fantasy Award, the Eugie Foster Memorial Award, The Courier-Mail Book of the Year Award, and several Aurealis Awards.
- “Catechism” (forthcoming, 2023)
- “The Five Lazy Sisters” (forthcoming)
- “Merry in Time“, Beneath Ceaseless Skies #352
- “On the Origins of the Population of Wakeford”, The Sunday Morning Transport
- “Twelve Observations Along George Street”, a piece for voices, performed by Penny Everingham, Kevin Spink and Hsiao-Ling Tang, and recorded as part of the Queensland Music Festival’s City Symphony project and available for a limited time through the City Symphony app
- “Gisla and the Three Favours”, The Year’s Best Fantasy Vol. 1, ed. Paula Guran, Pyr Books (originally published in Lady Churchill’s Rosebud Wristlet #43)
- “The Wonderful Stag, or The Courtship of Red Elsie”, Tor.com
- “Gisla and the Three Favours”, Lady Churchill’s Rosebud Wristlet #43 (collected in The Year’s Best Fantasy, ed. Paula Guran, 2022)
- “On Pepper Creek”, South of the Sun: Australian Fairy Tales for the 21st Century, AFTS and Serenity Press
Articles and Papers:
- “Heyer… in Space! The Influence of Georgette Heyer on Science Fiction”, Georgette Heyer, History, and Historical Fiction, ed. Samantha Rayner and Kim Wilkins, UCL Press
- “Observation Journal: Introduction”, “Observation Journal: “Surfaces”, “Observation Journal: “Variations on Descriptions”, Science Write Now Vol. 5, ed. Amanda Niehaus and Jessica White
- Flyaway, Tor.com (USA) and Picador (Australia). (Winner of the British Fantasy Award (Sydney J Bounds Award) for Best Newcomer. Shortlisted for the World Fantasy Award, the Courier-Mail People’s Choice Book of the Year Award, the Crawford Award and the Australian Shadows Award.)
- Travelogues, Brain Jar Press
- “The Present Only Toucheth Thee“, Strange Horizons, 8 June 2020 (story; podcast)
- “Not to be Taken”, Bitter Distillations, Egaeus Press, 5 December 2020
Articles and Papers:
- “Contracts and Calcifer, or “In Which A Contract Is Concluded Before Witnesses”: the transactional structure of Howl’s Moving Castle”, The Proceedings of the Diana Wynne Jones Conference, Bristol 2019
- “Undine Love” (Tor.com, 11 June 2020) (originally published in Adromeda Spaceways Inflight Magazine #52, 2011).
- Flyaway: Visual Evocation of the Beautiful Sublime in Australian Gothic Literature (MPhil dissertation, University of Queensland)
- “The Heart of Owl Abbas”, The Year’s Best Science Fiction and Fantasy, Rich Horton (ed.), Prime Books, 2019. (Originally appeared on Tor.com, 2018).
- “The Heart of Owl Abbas”, Tor.com, ed. Ellen Datlow (Ditmar finalist). (Ditmar Award for Best Short Story; finalist for the 2019 Eugie Foster Memorial Award; Locus Recommended Reading List 2018; selected for The Year’s Best Science Fiction and Fantasy (Prime Books)).
- “A Hedge of Yellow Roses”, Year’s Best Australian Fantasy And Horror 2015, Ticonderoga Publications, 2017 (originally published in Hear Me Roar, Liz Grzyb (ed.), Ticonderoga Press, 2015).
- “The Wolves of Thornfield Hall, a variation on a theme”, Eleven Eleven Journal #19, California College of the Arts, 2015.
- “The Tangled Streets”, Bloodlines, Amanda Pillar (ed.), Ticonderoga Press, 2015.
- “A Hedge of Yellow Roses”, Hear Me Roar, Liz Grzyb (ed.), Ticonderoga Press, 2015. (Ditmar Award Best Short Story).
- “The Last Case of Detective Charlemagne”, Insert Title Here, Tehani Wessely (ed.), FableCroft Publishing, 2015.
- “Skull & Hyssop“, The Year’s Best Science Fiction and Fantasy, Rich Horton (ed.), Prime Books, 2015. (Originally appeared in Lady Churchill’s Rosebud Wristlet #31, 2014).
- “An Apocalypse in Six Genres” (poem), Andromeda Spaceways Inflight Magazine #61, 2015 (Originally appeared in Conflux 8 Short Story Competition, 2012).
- “Skull & Hyssop“, Lady Churchill’s Rosebud Wristlet #31, 2014.
- “A Small Wild Magic” (comic), Monstrous Affections, Kelly Link and Gavin Grant (ed.), Candlewick Press, 2014. (Aurealis Award Best Graphic Novel/Illustrated Work finalist).
- “Ella and the Flame”, One Small Step, Tehani Wessely (ed.), FableCroft Publishing, 2013.
- “Kindling”, Year’s Best Australian Fantasy And Horror 2012, Ticonderoga Publications, 2013. (Originally appeared in Light Touch Paper, Stand Clear, Edwina Harvey and Simon Petrie (ed.), Peggy Bright Books, 2012).
- “An Apocalypse in Six Genres” (poem), honourable mention, Conflux 8 Short Story Competition, 2012.
- “Kindling”, Light Touch Paper, Stand Clear, Edwina Harvey and Simon Petrie (ed.), Peggy Bright Books, 2012.
- “Finishing School” (comic), Steampunk! An Anthology of Fantastically Rich and Strange Stories, Kelly Link and Gavin Grant (ed.), Candlewick Press, 2011. Aurealis Award Best YA Short Story finalist.
- “Undine Love”, Andromeda Spaceways Inflight Magazine #52, 2011. (Reprinted 2020 in Tor.com.)
- “Mouseskin”, After the Rain, Tehani Wessely (ed.), FableCroft Publishing, 2011.
- “The Splendour Falls”, Andromeda Spaceways Inflight Magazine #41, 2009.
- “Long Time Passing” (flash), AntiSF, 2007.
- “Custody” (flash), Shadow Box, 2006.